Barton Willmore submitted a Master Plan and Design and Access Statement on behalf of Broadgate Homes to South Holland District Council for an urban extension to Spalding. Comprising of 2250 dwellings and ancillary uses, the master plan provides the framework for a step change in design quality and creating a sustainable community for the future.
The master plan was praised at the CABE Design Review for holistically considering the future growth of the town and the bold design approach which reinforces the distinctive qualities of the Fenland landscape.
Key components of the concept are:
- Integrating the development with and providing benefits for the existing communities
- Accommodation of the Spalding Western Relief Road
- Responding to the landscape character and drainage regime of the site and immediate context
- Creating walkable neighbourhoods
- Delivering a unique sense of place through distinct design